Dear Parents and Guardians,
Hello, my name is Riley Turvey and I am thrilled to be with the Casorso team this year as your child's Indigenous Student Advocate. I started with the district as an Education Assistant but decided that changing my role was the best choice for me. I grew up learning about my heritage through the advocates at school and I plan to be able to do the same thing for my students. I look forward to building relationships with all of my new families and learning alongside my students this will be an amazing year!!
My role in this district is to assist and support students and families. I will be in contact with my students periodically throughout the year. This may include:
* Ensuring students remain in school and graduate
* Increasing attendance and lessening tardiness if problem exists
* Academic and personal/behavior goal setting, self-esteem, peer interaction
* Motivating, maintaining and celebrating your child's success
* Encouraging students to participate in cultural learning, events, sports, and field trips
* Providing problem solving issues and concerns regarding school and home
* Encouraging Parent/Guardian/Elder involvement and support
* Increasing access to resources available from our Indigenous Education Program
* Attending school meetings including IEP's, Parent/Teacher conferences, behavior plans
* Breakfast/snack/lunch programs
I have an open door policy. Please feel free to call or stop by during school hours.
My goal is to see that every one of my students reaches his or her full potential and has a very positive and welcoming experience at Casorso. I look forward to meeting many new faces. Welcome!!
All my Relations,
Indigenous Student Advocate
Casorso Elementary School (250) 870-5135 ext. 6593 Email: email@example.com
REQUEST for Indigenous Cultural Programming.doc
Letter from District Principal – Indigenous Education.docx